Electricity may be something we depend on, but it can still be extremely dangerous. In…
When it comes to electricity in the home, your safety is essential. Flashing lights, high bills and damaged appliances can all be signs of electrical problems in the circuit and wiring of your home. Identify the household electrical problems in the list below, as well as the most appropriate solution.
1. Frequent Electric Circuits
Electrical overvoltages can be triggered by anything from lightening, destruction of power lines, defective machines, and bad cables in the home. While a real increase takes barely a second, recurrent flows can harm electrical devices around your house, significantly reducing their lifespan.
If frequent electrical discharges occur, the culprit is probably connected to the wiring of the home network, or the electrical device itself. Try removing all the cheap devices or power boards from the outlet to see if this prevents overvoltages. If not, it may be time to consult a professional electrician.
2. Sags and Dips In the Power
Like electrical overvoltages, power sags and dips can often be attributed to the connected power supplies, which may be defective or made with lower quality devices and suffer from poor energy flow.
3. Light Switches Do Not Work Correctly
Attenuation switches that do not properly adapt light can often be attributed to poor quality work or low quality products.
If you have just moved into a new home and find the switches do not seem to activate anything, this could be a sign that the switches have been replaced and the accessories removed, or it could be a mistake in the circuit or wiring. Consult an electrician there are any problems with the home switches.
4. Circuit Switch Shooting Frequently
High power elements, such as microwaves and hair dryers, can activate switches, especially when using other elements that consume energy from the same source. A switch is designed to protect you and your home.
See what you were using when it was activated. If it’s a hair dryer, try to use a lower setting. On the other hand, you can limit electrical use in a lone circuit pending the use of high-watt devices.
5. Circuit Overloading
One of the main causes of the frequent switching on of the circuit-breakers is overloading of the power boards. Most houses and apartments, even new ones, do not have sufficient resources to deal with, for example, a complete entertainment unit housing configuration. If the circuit breakers in your home frequently turn on, it could be due to a circuit overload. Prevent this by:
• Never connecting power boards with a chain connection.
• Removing devices that are not in use (for instance, mobile chargers continues to use power even after disconnection).
• Spreading your electrical needs around. Do not overload a single circuit.
• Considering how to connect devices at home: what is in use and what is not needed.
6. Light –Too Luminous or Dimensioned
If certain light bulbs in your house appear extremely bright, while others are dull, then there are two likely reasons:
• Diverse categories of lights with diverse power: check that all the bulbs are identical.
• Bad main neutral connection: this will continue to cause problems for the home until it is repaired by a professional.
7. Electric Shock
A shock is an unpleasant experience. Although they could be quite soft, something like a motionless shock, it’s a harsh reminder of how dangerous electricity can be and that it is better (and safer) to contact professional electrician to resolve any potential household electrical problems.
Electric shocks generally occur when turning a device on or off. The problem could be with the appliance, or it could be in the wiring. You can test this by connecting another device and seeing if the results are reproducible; however, you risk another electrocution doing this. In most cases, it might be better to talk to an electrician.
8. High Electricity Bill
Perhaps one of the most unpleasant household electrical problems is when your electricity bill is higher than expected. It may not always be related to a particular issue in your home, however reducing the cost of the electricity bill could include:
• Switching to a cheaper provider
• Identifying electrical devices that could cause an increase in electricity use
• Preventing leaks in the hot water system
• Disconnecting appliances and chargers when they are not in use
• Repairing damaged cables or circuits
9. Bulbs are Burning out too Often
There are a number of reasons why lightbulbs can burn out too often:
• Power too high
• Insulation is too close to light
• Incorrect wiring in the circuit
• Incorrect wiring in the network
• With a dimmer, too much power in a switch
• If it flashes, there is probably a poor connection in the circuit
Isolating the problem can be difficult for non-professionals. It may be helpful to contact an electrician to help identify the root cause of bulb wear, rather than messing with the lights yourself.
10. The Recessed Light “Turns Off” and “Comes On”
Recessed lights (such as down-lights) are equipped with safety devices that reduce energy to the light when it becomes too hot. It also does this if the light is consuming too much energy in the bulb or the insulation in the ceiling is too close to the bulb.
Check for Excessive Heat
Check your general lights from time to time:
• Are they producing excessive heat?
• What is the total wattage in the circuit?
• Are they adequately insulated?
Overheated lighting can be a fire hazard, so be sure to test them regularly.
11. A Strange Smell is Coming from my Switch or Outlet
If you notice a faint smell coming from the socket or the switch, stop using it immediately. Wiring issues in the device can cause this odor, in which case it is necessary to repair it or replace it.
Carefully examine the switch and/or outlet and be aware of the damage. Replace it completely if you cannot find the source of the smell. As noted above, this issue can cause fires and should not be ignored.
What to Do if the Issues Continue
Your electrician is fully qualified and trained, with a lot of experience in solving the most common household electrical problems found in the home. Ask them to replace switches and sockets, update panels or find the root causes of flashing lights and faulty three-way switches. Their experience and knowledge is invaluable, and will help you to keep a safe and functional home. Elsys Electrical Ltd is always happy to assist with your household electrical problems. Do not hesitate, this could be potentially dangerous and un-safe to sort it out yourself. Contact your Professional Electrician for free advise & assessment.