Electricity may be something we depend on, but it can still be extremely dangerous. In…
How do you know when you home need an electrical upgrade? Do you wait until a circuit breaker trips, or are there signs you need to look out for? Your home’s electrical system is like your body’s circulatory system. It needs to work properly for every part of your home to function. In order to consider Electrical Overhaul, it is never advisable to wait until a few lights begin to flicker before you think about looking to your electrical system. Here are a few pointers that will tell you when to invite a professional over.
- Your house is very old – If your house is very old, or didn’t have electricity installed when it was originally built, it is possible that the electrical system has not been looked at in decades, and this should be a cause for worry. In different areas of the world, local electrical codes change often and areas such as Watford and St Albans are no exception. It is quite possible that your old house may be in violation of a few. If you are not certain whether your home needs an electrical upgrade, then you need to call in the experts, like the ones at Elsys Limited who will look at your setup and determine if you need changes or not.
- Bad breakers – One thing you can do on your own to determine if your electrical systems are bad is to head over to the circuit box and take a look at the breakers. You can try toggling each one individually to find out which one will flip while still supplying power. This is a sure sign that there is a problem somewhere. Either the breaker needs to be replaced, or you are using way more load than you should. A professional electrician will be able to determine the exact problem and give you a solution.
- Too much electrical load – It is inevitable that as your family grows, and more appliances are added to your home, your electricity consumption will increase. If the same system you were using when you had fewer appliances and consumed less power is the same you are using with a larger load, then you need an overhaul. Too much load on a low load electrical system can cause an overload, and sometimes, this can result in damage to appliances and gadgets. If you suspect that too many things are eating into your electricity, or you introduced more equipment into your home, then you surely need a professional to see if your system can handle the load, or if you need to upgrade.
- Electrical problems keep occurring – If you suddenly start experiencing a crop of electrical related problems, such as flickering lights, sudden blackouts in your house, smell of burning wires and so on, you should know that the time is overdue for an electrical overhaul. Most homeowners tend to overlook this simple signs assuming they would sort themselves out but this is a dangerous practice. Immediately you notice problems with your electricity, call for a professional immediately.
- Low current – Low electric current in your home can be caused by a number of reasons, such as overload on the system, faulty connection or when you put on heavy power equipment (This happens only when you power the equipment). It is a good idea to invite an expert over to take a look at your system before it escalates into something worse. Most times, electrical issues start out as little problems that would cost only a few bucks to fix, but if not taken care off immediately, it can progress into a huge fault that can cost you thousands.
Electricity is not something you can do as a DIY project; you have to call a professional to ensure that it is done right.
If you live in the Watford and St Albans area, call Elsys Electrical Ltd for an efficient and professional electrical upgrade.