Electricity may be something we depend on, but it can still be extremely dangerous. In…
What Is An LED Light?
LEDs (light emitting diodes) is the more energy-efficient and eco-friendly replacement for incandescent lights. It is built on the electro-luminescent effect (a process where diodes convert electric currents to light, when electrons change states in an LED semiconductor). LED bulbs are great way to more energy efficient home, at present however there is one common issue that comes with LED Lights – Flickering.
Why Your LED Lights May Blink Or Flicker
Blinking or flickering LED lights is usually caused by one of four things:
- Appliances pulling large volumes of currents on start-up, thereby causing the voltage drop.
- Problem with the bulb – that the wrong bulb type for a dimmer switch or not screwed on tight enough.
- Faulty fixture or light switch.
- Loose light plug
There might also be a bigger electrical issue such as:
- Problem with the main service cable connection or meter box
- Sensory overload on a circuit
- Problems with the electric utility service
- Voltage fluctuation
- Outdated or loose wiring
Smart Solutions For Flickering LED lights
Check Your Switches.
A lot of homes still use dimmer switches which are incompatible with modern LED light bulbs. If you have a dimmer switch, then you should try replacing one or two of your LED bulbs with energy-saving or traditional incandescent bulbs. In most cases, this will correct the issue and stop the flickering. At other times, you may need wiring changes – in times like this, it is best that you contact professional electrician. You might also need to get building permits in order to initiate a repair. However, once completed, your LED lights flickering would stop for good.
Check The Current Voltage In Your Home.
One of the most common reasons why LED lights flicker is because there are voltage fluctuations within the wiring of your home. This happens because each wire uses some of the voltage in the current flow of the wiring. For instance, if your LED light flickers when you turn on the washing machine while the refrigerator is running, then it probably means that you have loads turning off and on that change the voltage level which causes the flickering. This can be quickly addressed by remove the troublesome appliances and plugging to a different circuit.
Check And Fix Loose Connections
Another major reason why LED lights flicker is as a result of loose connections within the circuit. A quick solution for this is to screw on light bulbs tightly. If this doesn’t work, then you could try removing debris or dust that may be interfering with the connection. You can do this by using a bottle of compressed air to blow out out the connection points in order to remove dirt. There might also be wiring at the connection point that has become loose over time; if this is the case, disconnect power to the circuit and tighten up the wiring.
Correct High Surge Wattage
A lot of appliances does require more power when they first come on as opposed to when they are running consistently. This is called a surge wattage and when this power drain happens, it can cause LED lights to flicker. This problem can be quickly corrected by removing heavier load items to a separate 240 V circuit. Even though this isn’t a cheap option, it is necessary.
On A Final Note
Prevention is always better than solutions, so keep the following tips in mind:
- For dimming systems, consider using digital voltage steering systems or a 0- 10V dimming system as opposed to a TRIAC alternative.
- Always drive LED products using an LED power supply that is designed for that particular purpose. Do not use LED strips that are driven by mains AC
- While installing a dimming system, check to see the minimum dimming level that you shouldn’t go below.
- Ensure that your LED products are compatible with the power supply and control circuits that you use.
- Consider using a constant current LED driver.
- Periodically check for faulty connections or loose wiring.
Flickering LED lights could be very frustrating thing. Sometimes the solution for this could be fast and simple. However, in some cases it would require assistance by Professional Electrician. Our experienced electrical Engineers at Elsys Electrical Ltd, successfully sorted out many similar LED flickering issues in Watford, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead and North London. Our electrical service also includes partial re-wiring or complete lights design for your property, where required, making sure that all electrical’s will be fully functional, as they should be.
For competitive quote or friendly advise regarding your Lighting in your property, do not hesitate to contact Elsys Electrical Ltd.